To get a USPS money order replacement, you need to open a Money Order Inquiry at a post office then you need to pay the fees and wait for your request to get approved.
If your USPS money order is lost, stolen, or damaged then you might be thinking How can you get a USPS money order replacement?
Well, good news for you. In this post, I will walk you through my comprehensive guidelines on the USPS money order replacement process. Moreover, I will also provide the necessary resources for it and answer all the related questions. So, stay with me.
First, let’s check out Can a postal money order be reissued?
Can USPS Money Orders be Replaced?
Yes, USPS money orders can be replaced anytime in case they are lost, stolen, or damaged. However, there is a fee to replace a lost or stolen money order.
Almost all major money order issuers replace money orders. USPS is no different. In fact, the USPS money order replacement process is a lot easier than other issuers. But it takes more time.
On the other hand, replacing a lost or stolen money order will cost you some bucks. But a damaged money order can be replaced without any fee. Moreover, damaged money orders are replaced almost instantly by any post office within the United States.
However, damaged money orders are subject to inspection. The Post Office will determine if the damage is significant enough to warrant a replacement. So, what are the requirements for replacing a postal money order?
USPS Money Order Replacement Requirements
Althouth, USPS money order replacement does not require much. Still, there are some basic requirements. Here are some of the USPS money order requirements
- The money order purchaser can only file a request for replacement.
- You must need the money order tracking number to request a refund.
- Apart from the tracking number you will also require the purchase date, post office number, and the exact amount.
- The processing fee is non-refundable.
- Any sign of alteration in the amount area will be considered non-replaceable.
- You will be required to show your ID to prove you are the purchaser of the money order.
- To get a replacement for a damaged money order you must have the money order in your possession.
- Damaged money orders will only be replaced if they are considered eligible after inspection.
- Only an uncashed money order is eligible for a replacement.
You must fulfill these requirements to get a replacement from the post office. But what if your money order purchase slip is also lost with the money order?
USPS Money Order Replacement Without Receipt
Like other money order issuers, USPS money order replacement does not require a copy of the purchase slip for replacement application. However, you will still require the information on the money order purchase slip. So, if you have lost the money order purchase slip then you will require
- The money order Serial number
- Post office number as shown in the money order
- The amount of the money order
- The exact date and time the money order was purchased
- The name of the sender and receiver
Your replacement request will only be accepted if you have filled out this information correctly. So, always preserve a copy of the purchase slip along with the money order.
How To Apply for a USPS Money Order Replacement
Here is how to apply for a USPS Money Order Replacement
- Go to your nearest post office with the purchase receipt or money order and ask for a Money Order Inquiry form.
- Fill out the form with the help of a retail associate at the post office.
- Then pay the fees if required. You can pay the fees using cash, check, or debit card.
- Lastly, wait for the investigation to be completed.
- In case you have a damaged money order then wait for the inspection to get completed.
This is how you can easily apply for a USPS money order replacement. But can you do it online?
USPS Money Order Replacement Online
Unfortunately, USPS does not allow online money order replacement applications. So, you have to go to a post office physically to reissue a money order. However, you can track your application status and download the USPS money order customer inquiry form online. So, where can I find the money order replacement form?
USPS Money Order Replacement Form
Though you can not fill out the money order request form online but you can download it, print it, and fill it out at your home. However, it’s always suggested to fill them out at the post office to avoid any mistakes. Here are the USPS Money order replacement form link and USPS money order replacement tracking links
But what is the USPS money order replacement cost?
USPS Money Order Replacement Fee
USPS money order replacement cost depends on whether you are applying for a damaged money order replacement or a lost one. If you are applying for a damaged money order and it passes the test then the replacement is completely free.
On the other hand, if you are applying for a lost or stolen money order then the replacement fee is $17.30. You can pay the fee with cash, check, or debit card only and it’s non-refundable.
By now we have found out about the complete process of USPS money order replacement. Now let’s look at some of the related queries.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions related to this topic.
How Long Does USPS Money Order Replacement Take?
Usually, USPS money order replacement takes 60 days for lost or stolen money orders. Most lost and stolen money orders are investigated which takes almost 30 days. So, you might get a replacement earlier than 60 days.
On the other hand, damaged money orders are replaced instantly or at least within a week.
What if A Money Order has been Sold but not Cashed?
When the money order is sold the money remains locked at the account of the money order issuer. The money will only be released when the receiver claims it. If no one claims it the money will remain there. Some issuers start to charge a fee for money orders older than 2-3 years. However, USPS does not charge any fee.
What happens if a USPS Money Order is Lost?
If a USPS money order is lost then you should request a refund or reissue ASAP. Because USPS Money order refund takes almost 60 days. However, if someone gets the money order who is not the recipient then he can not cash it.
Though USPS can not cancel a money order payment but they can replace or refund it. So, if your money order is lost or stolen then immediately request a replacement. It takes a lot of time to get a replacement. On the other hand, damaged money orders should also be replaced with a new one. Otherwise, they might get out of order.