You can get a Wells Fargo money order from any branch with a flat fee and a $1,000 limit. The fee varies depending on your account type.
Wells Fargo is one of the few US banks that issue money orders to both customers and non-customers. But how do you get a Wells Fargo money order?
Well, we are about to find out. In this post, I will discuss every little detail about Wells Fargo money orders. Moreover, I will also add their policy, fees, and limits and answer all the related queries. So, stay here till the end.
First, let’s find out Can non-customers get money orders from Wells Fargo.
Can I Get a Money Order From Wells Fargo?
Yes, you can get a money order from Wells Fargo. Money orders are available for both account holders and non-account holders at all Wells Fargo branches in the United States.
Although most major banks offer cashier’s checks and certified checks, but they do not issue money orders themselves. However, Wells Fargo is an exception. Because they offer Cashier’s checks, certified checks, and money orders for a flat fee.
Wells Fargo Money orders are as good as any money orders. You can track them too and they are quite safe. But the only issue will be they are not as popular as other money order issuers, so financial institutions without Wells Fargo might not cash it. However, Wells Fargo has thousands of branches all over the United States. So, it won’t be an issue.
So, what are the requirements and policies for the Wells Fargo Money order?
Wells Fargo Money Order Policies
Here are the money order policies and requirements for Wells Fargo
- Money orders can be purchased at any Wells Fargo branch in the United States.
- Money orders can be purchased with cash, a check, or a debit card.
- Non-customers can also purchase a Wells Fargo money order.
- Money orders are payable to a specific person or organization.
- Money orders can be cashed at any bank or financial institution.
- Lost or stolen money orders can be replaced with a fee.
- Unused money orders can be refunded if there is no sign or alteration.
- Uncashed money orders are subject to state or territorial unclaimed property laws.
- A government-verified ID is required to purchase a money order.
- Money orders can not be made payable to multiple people or organizations.
- Money order payments can not be stopped.
Now that we know the policies and requirements for Wells Fargo money orders. So, let’s look at How to get a Wells Fargo Money order.
How to get a Wells Fargo Money Order
Getting a Wells Fargo Money order is quite straightforward. Here is how you can get a Wells Fargo Money order
- Go to your nearest Wells Fargo Location. Be sure to keep your ID with you.
- Ask a teller for a money order. Please mention the amount.
- Show your ID and pay the money order amount along with the fees.
- The teller will instruct you how to fill out the money order. Follow the instructions and fill out the money order.
- After filling out the money order the teller will separate the money order from the purchase receipt.
- Lastly, keep both your money order and purchase receipt in a safe place.
Keep in mind that, you must fill out the money order correctly in front of the teller. Otherwise, if the money order is lost then there is no way you can get it back. But how do you fill out a Wells Fargo money order?
How To Fill Out A Wells Fargo Money Order
Wells Fargo money order is quite similar to Western Union money orders. So, you can fill it out like a Western Union Money order. Here is how you can fill out the Wells Fargo money order
- First, write the recipients or business name in the “PAY TO THE ORDER OF” field. Make sure the name matches the person’s ID or the business name is written correctly.
- Just beside the PAY TO THE ORDER OF field, there is “Purchaser” Write your name there.
- Then there is the “PURCHASER’S ADDRESS” section. Write your address here.
- Lastly, there is a “PURCHASER’S SIGNATURE” section in the rightmost corner of the last line.
Some Wells Fargo money orders also contain the memo, Write the purpose of the money order there shortly.
Wells Fargo Money Order Deposit
In case you have received a Wells Fargo money order, then you can deposit or cash it easily. You just need a valid ID card matching the recipient’s name of the money order. In case it’s made to your business then you will require to provide your EIN.
Without a valid ID, you can not cash a Wells Fargo money order. On the other hand, you can cash a Wells Fargo money order by going to any Wells Fargo Branch or financial institution. You can also deposit a Wells Fargo money order at a Wells Fargo ATM. But you must require an account for this. So, How much does Wells Fargo charge for a money order?
Wells Fargo money order fee
Here is a chart containing, how much does Wells Fargo charge for a money order
|Everyday Checking Account Holder||$5|
|Clear Access Banking Account Holder||$5|
|Prime Checking Account Holder||$0|
The fee is fixed for any amount of money order.
Cashing a Wells Fargo money order is free if you are a customer. However, for non-customers, there is a fee for cashing the money order depending on the branch. But Can you track a Wells Fargo money order?
Wells Fargo Money Order Tracking
Wells Fargo does not have an online Tracking system for money orders. But that does not mean you can not track a Wells Fargo money order. For tracking a Wells Fargo money order, you need to call 1-800-869-3557 and ask for the money order status. Then a representative will tell you if it’s cashed or not. If cashed then the date and location where it was cashed.
For tracking the money order, you must need the money order purchase slip and tracking number. Otherwise, it’s not possible.
Wells Fargo Money Order Limit
Money orders at Wells Fargo have a $1,000 limit. Like a cashier’s check or certified check, there is no limit to who can purchase a money order. You can even purchase multiple Wells Fargo money orders in one day.
By now we have found out most of the things about Wells Fargo Money Order. Now, let’s look at some of the related queries.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions related to this topic.
Can you get Wells Fargo money order online?
No, you can not get a Wells Fargo money order online. For getting a Wells Fargo money order you must go to a physical Wells Fargo location with your ID and purchase a money order there.
How long does it take for a money order to clear Wells Fargo?
It should only take a few minutes to clear a money order at Wells Fargo. They will just verify your identity, match your name, and provide you with the money order amount. However, if you are a customer and want to deposit the money order in your account then it might take 1-2 days to get your money added to your account.
What is the Limit on a Money Order?
Usually, all money orders have a $1,000 limit no matter who the money order issuer is. However, some money order agents might not sell money orders exceeding $500. So, be sure to check out the limit before going to an agent to get a money order.
Wells Fargo money orders are secure and easy to get. However, they can be quite expensive compared to other money order issuers. Moreover, they are not recognized for money orders as well so one might find it hard to cash them too. So, only get a Wells Fargo money order if it’s the only option you have.