For USPS money order verification, you can call the USPS helpline, look for unique signs, or hidden marks, and use the online tracking number.
In case you are receiving a USPS money order then USPS money order verification is a must. Because scammers tend to choose fake USPS money orders most of the time. But how do you verify a USPS money order?
Well, I will help you do that. In this post, I will provide a comprehensive guideline on USPS money order verification. Moreover, I will also answer all the related questions. So, stay with me till the end.
Before finding out how to verify USPS money orders we must learn, What information goes on a USPS money order?
Check out USPS money order fees
What Information Goes on a USPS Money Order?
For USPS money order verification, you must learn what information is included in a USPS money order. Because most scammers do not focus on the details properly while making a fake money order. So, if you know all the details, you will get the upper hand in detecting a fake money order.
Here is the information printed on the money order by the post office
- An Unique Serial Number
- Issue Date with Year, Month, day format
- Post office number
- Money order amounts in US dollars and cents
All of this information is printed on the first row. The dollar amount printed here is in numbers. Below this row, there are two things printed
- The dollar amount again
- The issuing clerk number.
All the above information should be printed and not handwritten. After that, there is the recipient and sender information section. This section includes
- Pay to: The recipient’s name
- Address: The recipient’s address
- From: Sender name
- Address: Sender address
- Memo: The purpose of the money order
This information should be handwritten. Lastly, there is the serial number printed again on the right side and a unique number printed on the left side.
If you look at all of these details carefully then you can easily spot regular fake USPS money orders. But how do I verify a USPS money order?
USPS Money Order Verification
The USPS money order verification process is quite easy and should not take more than half an hour to complete. You just need to be focused and look at the details carefully. Here is how to verify USPS money orders
Look for Special Signs
Like money, money orders also have some hidden and visible special signs that can not be replicated easily. Here is how you can look for the special signs
- The paper should be a little thicker than regular papers.
- Just below the serial number, there should be an invisible watermark of Ben Franklin. It should be on the left side repeat top to bottom.
- Place the money order in front of a light source and you will be able to see the watermark of Ben Franklin.
- On the right side of the Ben Franklin watermark, there should be a vertical, multicolored thread. These threads should be printed with the letters “USPS” weaves in and out of the paper.
- Lastly, there should be a somewhat rectangular USPS white logo printed in the center left of the money order.
All these signs can not be replicated together. So, you should be able to spot the fakes if you look for these carefully.
Call the USPS Money Order Verification Phone Number
The easiest way to verify a USPS money order is to call the USPS money order verification number. Just call the verification number answer some questions and you will find out if the money order is fake or not. Below are the two verification numbers
The first number is the primary USPS money order verification number. Call it to verify any USPS money order. On the other hand, call the second number if you sense any fraud with USPS money orders and want to report it.
Inspect the Money Order
Apart from making a totally fake money order, scammers also purchase an original money order and charge the dollar amount. In case, that’s the issue then the first two methods might not work. Here is how you can fight these
- Look for any washed-out colors on the dollar amount. The dolor amount should be printed in perfect black and should not look discolored.
- The dollar amount should not be too big.
- The amount should be printed two times on the money orders.
- A domestic USPS money order can not be more than $1,000 and an international money order can not be more than $700.
- Lastly, ask for the purchase slip or a picture of the purchase slip. Because the money order amount is also printed on the purchase slip.
By following these methods you can easily verify your money order and spot any scam. But is it possible to do it online?
USPS Money Order Verification Online
You can also complete the USPS money order verification online. You just need to use the money order tracking feature.
- Go to the USPS tracking page online.
- Enter the serial number, post office number, and amount printed on the money order to track the money order by serial number.
- Then hit view status and if any information is incorrect you will be able to find it easily.
This is how you can detect a fake money order online.
By now we have seen all the methods of USPS Money Order Verification. Now let’s look at some of the related queries.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions related to this topic.
Is USPS Money Order Trackable?
Yes, a USPS money order can be traced both online and offline. You just need to visit the USPS Money Order tracking page and enter the money order serial number, post office number, and amount to trace it. You can also call 1-866-459-7822 to trace a money order.
How Long Does A USPS Money Order Take?
A domestic USPS money order should take a couple of days to arrive. Usually, it’s 3-5 days max. However, during the holiday season, it can take up to 14 days to arrive at your doorstep.
How Do I Get My Money Back from an Uncashed USPS Money Order?
You should visit the post office with the money order and the purchase slip to get your money back from an uncashed USPS money order. It can take a couple of weeks to get your refund.
The USPS Money Order Verification process is quite straightforward and just takes a call or special inspection of the money order. You can complete the whole process in minutes if you follow our instructions properly. Lastly, you should never take a money order from strangers without any verification.